Greetings fellow Gardeners,
The winter and all it brings has arrived. Snow on the ground covers a lot, the cold also kills unwanted bugs and helps the soil.
Put your feet up and complete your Santa letter to include a favourite gardening book, a good weeding tool, seeds for all your favourite flowers and of course vegetables. A heated propagator,a really nice pot and a gardening course.When you can, go and check that your water troughs are not frozen, so the little creatures that visit you garden have a drink. Then pour yourself some mulled wine- there are also some excellent non alcholic beverages available, dream of what your garden will look like in the future.
Have a very Happy and Holy Christmas, see you next Year .
What to do in December
- Harvest your Brussells sprouts for your Chridtmas Dinner.
- Make a wreathe using Willow or Cornus alba as a base. Cover it with moss or lots of ivy, old mans beard – Clematis vitalba. String cranberries, dried roses using fine wire, bright ribbons, dried fruit, pine cones sprayed white or gold or silver.Poppy seed heads, tiny Poinsettia, twigs covered in lichens
- Clear out your shed, clean your tools. Buy an Osslating hoe – I have some in stock, great gift.
- Choose 3 annual flowers you love, order the seeds.
- List the veg you eat, order their seeds.
- Check your tree ties.
- Tender plants check they are protected.
- Water available for visitng creatures.
- Plant all those bulbs you have now, make sure you include tulips.
- Collect and compost your leaves, you will be glad to have them later in the year.